WHAT IS CHALK LINE REEL?
Chalk line is a practical tool for marking straight lines on surfaces for interior and exterior construction, e.g. woodwork. Chalk line is an extremely inexpensive marking tool, easy to handle and application takes no time at all.
HOW TO USE A CHALK LINE REEL?
A chalk line reel consists of break-resistant plastic, aluminum or even magnesium casing. 15 to 50 meters of chalk line is wound on a winch in the casing. The chalk link can be easily pulled out of the casing and manually rewound using the handle. The casing is filled with colored chalk line powder through an opening. Chalk powder is added to the chalk line by pulling out the chalk line and winding it up.
KEY FEATURES OF CHALK LINE REELS
On the one hand, chalk line reels differ in terms of material and, on the other hand, in terms of the size of their casing or the filling capacity of the chalk. Other criteria include the gear ratio, which helps wind up the chalk line, or the material, length and structure of the line. Additional key features include the end hook used to fasten and stretch the chalk line, a robust handle and the case cover.
- For optimum use of a chalk line reel, the cord must not be tangled, dirty or wet. Otherwise, it can’t be correctly rolled up or unrolled, or won’t absorb enough chalk powder.
- When filling the casing for the first time, it's best to completely pull out the cord before filling the chalk half of the casing through the opening. Once the cord is wound up, it will absorb the colored chalk and be ready for use.
- In order to mark long distances, it's best to press down approx. halfway along the string that is already stretched out with your finger, then strike a line on one side, followed by the other.
- To remove excess chalk on the cord, tap the casing a few times while it is being pulled out. This will enable you to mark a clearly visible, thin line.
- When pulling out the cord, pay attention to not touch the area to be marked so you don’t leave behind any misleading marks.
- Once used, the cord should be fully wound up to prevent it from getting wet or dirty.